As the city of Sydney grows and becomes more urbanized, the city recognizes the need to adopt green roofs and walls to further enhance resilience to climate change. It has been almost six years since the government of Sydney implemented the green roof and wall policy.
The residential population is estimated to increase by 40% in the year 2030, and the City Council ensures that they will implement the policy effectively. It will be a great help for the future generation to achieve a welcoming, healthy, and vibrant atmosphere when residing in Sydney.
The City of Sydney recognizes many benefits of incorporating green roofs and walls. Many roofs have significantly deteriorated, but through companies that do roof repairs in Sydney they can have upgraded roofs, making it look and function like brand new.
What are the benefits of a green roof and walls in Sydney?
1.Greenery on roofs and in walls removes these harmful pollutants rising in the air. It keeps the city’s air cleaner and safer for breathing. Opting for a green atmosphere also improves the air quality that circulates inside a building.
2. Uniformed green roofs and walls are more pleasing to the eyes of tourists. If you consider Sydney to be a vast country with hectares of natural parks inside cities, green roofs and walls ultimately affect the beauty of each town, and more importantly, it gives a more relaxing atmosphere to guests.
3. Biodiversity is essential to a healthy urban environment people are living. Green roofs and walls provide an essence of home to some insects, reptiles, and birdlife. It is also crucial for the government to find a sustainable environment for them.
4. Numerous studies show that humans need to be around other living things and plants. It is called ‘biophilia.’ There is a sense of fulfilment and benefit to the human psyche when living plants are surrounding them.
5. Green roofs extend the roof life by up to 40 years. But in the case for destruction of roofs caused by catastrophic events, you can easily find companies that do roof repairs in Sydney, so you can refrain from fixing it by yourself.
6. Green roofs are very efficient in the recent agreement of the Renewable Energy Target. Green roofs improve the efficiency of solar panels by keeping the surrounding temperature at an optimum level, which is beneficial to the usage of the solar panel.
7. With green roofs and walls, unused spaces are valuable in making recreational parks or even amusement parks, and this boosts the well-being of the population. Also, the remaining areas are perfect for growing crops, gardening, and building natural parks.
8. A hard surface can absorb the heat of the sun and be re-radiated out into the environment, causing an increase in temperature. But with green roofs as a standard, it lowers the effect called Urban Heat Island. It makes the city nature-friendly and a more comfortable place to stay.
The City of Sydney, by 2030, targets an ambitious goal of making it as Green as possible. Green roofs and walls are in each plan, available on the city’s website, supporting the path to sustainable development in the targeted year. Green roofs and walls are only a part of a more significant green strategy, but it plays a massive role to make the plan happen.
Being greener is the way forward to a healthy environment. Not only it reduces environmental impacts, but it also produces a more feasible approach in taking care of the environment. Besides, mother nature is our home, so we might as well take care of it whole-heartedly, and we can do this by going “green.”