There are things that you probably do every day by habit or common sense such as making your bed in the morning or doing the dishes after every meal. But, how often do you need to clean your fridge? How long can you go without vacuuming your mattress? How many times can you use a kitchen sponge before having to replace it? Read this guide to know what to clean and how frequently you should be cleaning it.
- Make your bed every morning.
- Wipe spills and food particles from these the kitchen sink and countertops daily. This helps avoid the buildup of bacteria that can contaminate your food.
- Do your dishes every after use or at least once a day.
- For the purpose of cleanliness and safety, sweep your kitchen floor and wipe down spills with a microfiber towel or absorbent mop daily.
Clean once a week
- Vacuum your floors and furniture once a week to get rid of dirt and dust.
- Change your beddings and clean your mirrors to give your space that nice and clean feel.
- Clean out your fridge and microwave to avoid molds and mildew.
- Replace or sanitize sponges and washcloths in the kitchen.
- Flush drain with boiling water.
- Use a microfiber mop to thoroughly clean kitchen and bathroom floors.
- Scrub down bathroom surfaces and disinfect your toilet and sink.
- Sweep and vacuum stair steps and landing. These high traffic areas can accumulate dirt easily.
- Wipe down computer mouse, keyboard, and phone. Make sure to unplug gadgets before cleaning them.
Clean once a month
- Give your light fixtures some dusting and cleaning to keep them glowing brightly.
- Dust blinds and fan vents.
- Clean mildew that has accumulated in the grout.
- Clean woodwork using a handheld vacuum.
- Cleaning appliances need to be taken cared of too. Make sure to clean your washing machine, dishwasher and vacuum every month.
Clean every three to six months
- Clean the inside of your fridge and oven.
- Clean the surfaces under and behind your furniture.
- Protect your books from deterioration by cleaning them. Dust spines and book tops. Flip through pages to avoid discoloration.
- Vacuum your mattress and wash your pillows.
- Remove your shower curtain for washing.
- Wash your car. Give special attention to your car windows for better visibility and safety. Giving your car a thorough cleaning is also a good opportunity to check the status of your tires as they suffer the most from wear and tear.
- Remove and wash slip covers every six months. If you are doing it at home, look for stains while the covers are still on the furniture to give you better visibility. Pre-treat stains before putting in the washer.
Clean once a year
- Thoroughly clean your carpet and upholstery.
- If your home has a fireplace and chimney, once a year is a good schedule for cleaning.
- Deep clean windows and curtains.