Answered by http://www.quora.com/Kirill-Nenartovich
- Consider Geothermal Heat Pump pipe buried in the backyard: may save a lot of energy if using it for heating or cooling.
- Plan to make Soffit vents to save on air conditioning. It also makes the roof temperature lower so the roof and attic wooden structures don’t degrade so fast.
- Consider a heat exchanger install, to exchange heat between fresh outside air fed into the house and used air going away .You will have a clean air without opening the window.
- Consider the heating cable installed into the floor in the bathroom or even in more places.
- Fireplace if done properly may keep some warmth for a while. But not if the chimney is outside the house.
- Consider solar panels.
- Consider heating cable installed under the driveway to melt the snow instead of cleaning it.
- Seal the basement concrete to stop moisture coming in.
- Consider a layer around the basement to stop termites.
- Think about the rain water to direct it away from the house.
Share the joy