Being comfortable is a luxury that we all deserve to have, but finding a good thermostat can drain your bank account in a hurry. There are a few things to consider when buying one, so you don’t ruin your heating/cooling systems and can still understand how to turn it on.
There are a lot of options out there, many different brands to choose from, and what kind of heating and cooling system your house has. It’s important to do some research to avoid spending money on a thermostat that won’t work.
It can be intimidating, but with this Thermostat Buyers Guide, you’ll be on your way to choosing the right system for you in no time.
There are many companies to buy from and many different thermostats to buy, so let’s go over some of the different types that you can choose from.
1. Manual Thermostat: One of the least expensive, these systems will allow you to set a temperature and then maintain it throughout the day. But these need to be manually switched between heating and cooling with a small lever, so this won’t be ideal if you’re away from home and deal with temperature extremes. They generally cost between $25-$60.
2. Digital Thermostat: This comes with an LCD display screen that allows you to see the current temperature and set the temperature that you want. There are many different types of digital systems, like smart thermostats and wifi thermostats. Some will allow you to see the temperature outside and even show you the humidity. These cost around $90-$150.
3. Non-Programmable Thermostat: Also known as mechanical, these are fairly straightforward when it comes to use and installation. While these can be quite affordable, they aren’t the most reliable and can take a while to respond to temperature changes. They range between $20-$45, but some can be as expensive as $100.
Best Thermostat Brands
There are many brands out there that can give you the thermostat that you need for your home, but here are just a few of our favorites.
1. White Rodgers: This brand offers thermostats that are compatible with the wiring in most homes, which makes them easy to install. You can install them yourself with an easy-to-use app or choose a professional-grade system.
2. Emerson: Offering systems that are affordable and low voltage all the way to smart systems with the latest technology. They also pair with White Rodgers to bring an easy-to-read blue light thermostat, which is perfect for people who have a hard time seeing.
3. Nest: This brand’s main focus is energy saving, which of course, will help you save money on your next electricity bill. The first few days you can adjust the system to the temperatures you prefer, but you’ll find yourself not having to mess with it as often because the thermostat will learn your habits and hold the temperatures that you like throughout the day.
How to Choose The Right Thermostat For You
With so many options out there it can be overwhelming when you shop for one.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that it should be compatible with your heating and cooling systems. Most systems these days run on gas, oil, electric, or 24-volt. Also account for fireplaces, heat pumps, and other sources of heat to help you decide.
You should also decide what kind of features you want to include. This depends on how much money you’re willing to dish out. You can choose a smart thermostat, which allows you to download an app and control the temperature of your home even when you’re away. You can also invest in a learning thermostat, which is energy efficient and eventually adjusts to your living conditions to help you be comfortable.
Hopefully, now your mind is a bit more clear and your decision-making process can be a little bit easier! You can choose the best brand and type of thermostat for your needs and you’ll be living comfortably in no time!